Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Worst Use of Medievalism this month so far

I don't usually look for medievalism for The Daily Show. But last night, John Stewart and crew delivered! Oh yes they did! Stewart rightly excoriated Chuck Grassley for his botching of the Arthurian tradition in attempting to denigrate the health care reform efforts. For our purposes, its the bad use of the tradition. For example, did you know that Lancelot was a dragon slayer for the love of Guinevere? Huh, had not heard that one...admittedly I'm not an Arthurian, but not familiar with that one. Here's the link.

2 comments:

Another Damned Medievalist said...

There are so many levels on which I loved that!

Wajih Ayed said...

Never heard of that one too -- not in any of the many texts I worked on for my thesis. This is yet another painful example of what unfamiliarity with ME literature does. Thanks for the post.